Saturday, December 29, 2007

Southern Pecan Pralines

One of my family's favorites. There is a huge varity of recipes out there for this one. I've rarely messed with the simple Southern version I learned from my Aunt MaryAnn. I was really nervous about trying to adapt this one as well. I hate wasting good pecans! Luckily it turned out as perfect as any of my previous batches.

1 3/4 Cups Packed Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Splenda Brown Sugar
1 Cup Fat Free Half and Half
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Cups Pecan halves

In at least a 2 quart sauce pan, add the brown sugars and the half and half. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches soft ball stage (238°). Remove from heat; stir in butter and pecans. Beat for 1 minute or until the candy just begins to lose its gloss. Drop by tablesoonfuls onto waxed paper, shaping with the back of a spoon if needed. You need to do this as quickly as possible as the last quarter of the mixture with thicken fast on you. If it gets too thick to shape, you can try adding a 'little' hot water to make the right consistency.


24 Candies (1 per serving)

     Adapted                         Unadapted                
     Calories 146.9          Calories 159.1
     Total Fat 7.6          Total Fat 9.4
     Sat Fat   1.2 g          Sat Fat   2.4 g
     Poly Fat 2.0 g          Poly Fat 2.4 g
     Mono Fat 4.0 g          Mono Fat 4.5 g
     Cholesterol 3.1 mg          Cholesterol 9.2 mg
     Sodium 11.3 mg          Sodium 11.3 mg
     Total Carbs 20 g          Total Carbs 20 g
     Fiber 1 g          Fiber 1 g
     Sugar 2.9 g          Sugars 3 g
     Protein 1 g          Protien 1 g

1 comment:

CJ S. said...

Next time I am going to try 1/2 Splenda Brown Sugar and 1/2 regular Brown Sugar. I was worried the Splenda wouldn't harden so, started with a smaller ratio. It worked just fine.

Slowly I'll work it up to trying all Splenda in the recipe. Though I think that the Splenda has less flavoring then real Brown Sugar, so I might have to add a Maple or Vanila extract. I know I can find the later in a sugar free version but not sure about the Maple Extract.

Anyway, I'll post later updates on my adaptations here.