Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Autumn Chicken and Rice

Everyone in the house loves this one. This is something I've been cooking for some time. It's a nice warm Fall/Winter dish that is quick and easy. I don't remember where I go the recipe. I believe it was from Martha Stewart's 'Everyday Foods' magazine. The only adaptation I made to it was cleaning the skin and fat off the chicken and using the most nutritional Long Grain Brown Rice I could find.

What You'll Need:

3-4 Pounds Chicken; cooked and pulled apart
1 1/2 Pounds Carrots; peeled and halved lengthwise
1 Pound Parsnips; peeled and halved lengthwise
3 Stalks Celery; thinly sliced
2 Large Onions; chopped
2 Bay Leaves
2 Garlic Cloves; smashed
3 Cups Long Grain Brown Rice
Salt and Pepper to Taste

What to Do:
In a extra large soup pot, combine chicken, carrots; parsnips, celery, onions, bay leaves, garlic, rice, salt and pepper. Add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium. Simmer partly covered for approximately 30, occasionally stirring to be careful not to scorch in pan or cook all the liquid out.

Serves: 16

Calories    123.6
Total Fat    2.2 g
        Saturated Fat     0.5 g
        Polyunsaturated Fat    0.6 g
        Monounsaturated Fat    0.7 g
Cholesterol    35.8 mg
Sodium    56.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate    15.9 g
Dietary Fiber    2.4 g
Sugars    2.2 g
Protein    10.1 g

BUDGET COOKING NOTE: I usually buy the 10 pounds pack of Thighs and Legs for $4.99 and cook them all at once with a whole onion, celery stalks, carrots, salt and peppercorns. I pull the meat out and make about 3-4 meals out of them. This is one of the meals. I also use the chicken to make Chic and Dumplings and Hunter's Chicken.

No comments: